Updated: October 28, 2020
Doheny Eye Institute (“DEI” or “We”) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when:
- You visit the website www.doheny.org (our “Website“); or
- You make donations to DEI using our partner service providers; or
- You provide information in response to online or email surveys by us or our third-party service providers; or
- You provide your information offline to DEI, such as through the mail, at trade shows or other events where we may gather your personal information.
In this policy we describe our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- To DEI for donation purposes, including payment processing through such third-party link at: https://doheny.org/donate/.
- For purposes of our newsletter that is accessible and collected by DEI for such purposes.
- To DEI for donation purposes as directed by us via email or U.S. Mail.
- At conferences, trade shows and events hosted by DEI or third parties.
- When you perform services for DEI if you are a DEI vendor.
- When you do any work for DEI as a contractor or employee of DEI.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Any healthcare physician including UCLA via links on our Website or as directed through an email between DEI and yourself, including through the link: including at our location link (https://doheny.org/locations/).
Any third-party unrelated to DEI activities or if DEI specifically references that it is not responsible or does not control the collection of any information by such third-party.
Not intended for Use by Children
Our Website is not intended for children under 16 of age. No one under age 16 may provide any personal information to the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not use or provide any information on this Website or through any of its features, register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at (323) 342-7101 or by emailing us at .
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information through our interactions with you, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, credit card information any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information“);
- That is about you but individually does not identify you, such as nicknames, usernames, email address, first name only, IP Address; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details, including:
- Number of users and sessions
- Session duration
- Operating systems
- Device models
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners via links from our Website or as directed through our instructions to You, for example to make donations or fill out surveys.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms that we request you to fill out.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions or interactions through our Website and of the fulfillment of your requests from DEI including through our third-party service provider’s websites and other collection channels.
The information we collect offline (not through our Website) may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms by email, survey, your business card, your information provided as a potential or actual vendor of DEI, or your resume if applying for a position with DEI. This includes information provided at the time of either requesting information about DEI or making donations, seeking employment or providing services to DEI, or for potentially working for DEI. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us offline at events, through the mail or otherwise.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses, home address or information on your business card, application or resume), if you contact us or if you provide such information to us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions or interactions between DEI and yourself offline for the fulfillment of your requests from DEI.
- Information about your business or your employees or agents if you are performing work for DEI.
Information derived from your resume or application and during any interviews if you are seeking employment or contract work from or with DEI.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking). Email us at for information on how you can opt out of behavioral tracking on this website and how we respond to web browser signals and other mechanisms that enable consumers to exercise choice about behavioral tracking.
The information we collect automatically may include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit DEI, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your activities and donations.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website or our third-party service providers’ sites.
- To use traffic data to improve Website and social media presence, as well as predictive modelling for fundraising purposes.
- For any purposes related to your services performed for DEI if you are a vendor, contractor or employee of DEI. In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties’ products and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information or email .
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To an assignee or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of DEI’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by DEI about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the “email a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of DEI, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out by sending us an email with your request to .
- Promotional Offers from DEI. If you do not wish to have your email address/contact information used by DEI to promote our own or third parties’ products or services including donation solicitations, you can opt-out by using the appropriate third-party service providers’ opt-out or unsubscribe mechanisms or at any other time by sending us an email stating your request to . If we, or an agent of DEI, have/has sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI“) on the NAI’s website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may also send us an email at to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your account profile. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our or our third-party service providers’ secure servers behind firewalls. Any payment transactions and other highly sensitive data will be encrypted.
We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Website or our third-party service providers’ sites, like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Website or our third-party service providers’ sites.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website or as stored by our third-party service providers. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.